Friday, May 05, 2006

Bring on Da Vinci

I just finished reading The DaVinci Code.

Some of you may be wondering, "Why?"

Well, the first reason is I prefer to read a book before I see the movie.

The second reason is that I am interested in historical religious fiction novels.

The third reason is that there are a bunch of hysterical conservative/fundamentalists running around thinking that the AntiChrist has finally hit the best seller list.

Let me tell you what I think about this book. It is a good read. I finished it in about 24 hours across 3 days. Most of it was done within the last 24 hours. That is a good read in my opinion. If it will engage me enough to drag me away from the computer for any length of time, it's a dandy of a book.

It is mostly an action book. The majority of the narrative is about action. Dead bodies. Albino religious fanatic assassins. Police chases and guns and shooting and jet planes. Whoosh! It is exciting.

It is a book that ties a lot of ideas together in a coherent form. If you read the structure of a book (That lost some of you.) this book uses a lot of themes that are tied up in a neat little package at the end. If Ron Howard does a halfway decent job, this is going to be a great movie. Although, I had a hard time seeing Tom Hanks as the lead.

The Catholic Church has a right to not like this book. They are not portrayed very positively in most of the novel. In fact, the Catholic Church looks down right evil. I am fairly sure the RC does a lot of political moving and shaking. And I'm sure they have done some shady things in the name of the greatest good. But the novel doesn't provide for very much good that has happened.

The conservative/fundamentalists are in a tizzy because of about 20 pages of material right in the middle of the book. It has to do with a theory regarding the humanity of Christ and his relationship with Mary Magdalene.

I'm not going to ruin the fun for you. If you haven't read the book, then go see the movie. If you can stand to read, get the book. It's in paperback now. But keep one thing in mind. Dan Brown is not out to take your religion away from you, much less your faith.



Post your comments by clicking on the green line below that says # comments.
Post a Comment