Thursday, May 04, 2006

Where's my mind lately?

Sometimes church members (and family members) will look at me and think/say, "What are you thinking about?" I have to admit that I get a terrible and sick sense of joy in knowing that people can't figure me out. I'm sick. I know it.

Lately, though, there has been one thing taking up most of my precious mental energies. Disney.

Walt Disney is one of my heroes. I have been reading about his life and the philosophy Disney had toward life. He is not what I would call a devout disciple of Jesus Christ. But he is someone I admire and am learning from.

Walt Disney World is my absolute favorite place in the world. I have been twice. There is something about that magical place. It is so powerful that I have used it as an example for our Vision Team leadership training this year.

So why is Disney filling up my waking moments. Cue the commercial: "I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!"

My family and I will be taking a vacation in September to Walt Disney World in Orlando. I am totally excited about this. It is taking up my spare mental energies. If there is anything that gets me totally out of character, it is Disney World.

And this year's trip is very important. Regrettably, I have not had a decent vacation in almost 2 years. I have been experiencing a considerable amount of fatigue related to work. That is why I am going to be scaling back some of the work load. And for me there is no better vacation than Disney World. Again, I'm sick. I know it.

But there was something that made my heart beat a little quicker this past weekend. There will be a youth worker's summit this Fall. And that summit will be at none other than.... you guessed it - Walt Disney World. There is a 3 day event scheduled for adults who work with youth sponsored by 11 mainline denominations. This 3 day event includes 2 training sessions with Walt Disney Corp. trainers. One of the dreams I have had in the last two years has been attending one of the Disney Institute's leadership training programs. While this is not going to be a full DI training, it will be a portion. I am working toward going to this event as a part of my continuing education. And I am hoping to get a couple of extra days of working vacation out of it.

So if anyone is wondering what I am thinking about at any given moment of the day, you can bet Disney will be part of it. Ask me about Disney and I will be glad to share.
Post a Comment