Wednesday, July 19, 2006

7 Reasons not to Read Your Bible...which one is yours

I got an email from Christianity Today with a link to the following article:

Back to the Book
Seven ways to ignite a passion for reading the Bible.
by Kathy Widenhouse


The 7 Excuses
  1. No time
  2. Don't know where to begin
  3. Don't get it
  4. It's dull
  5. Doesn't apply to life
  6. I hear it on Sunday
  7. It makes me uncomfortable

Okay, 7 reasons to not read the Bible. Is that really all there is? I look at that list and see that one very profound excuse, and the honest truth, is not there. I don't want to.

Let me just say that I am not great at reading my bibles on a regular basis. I have great, heavenly, holy intentions. But when it comes down to it, I have to answer the question honestly. I don't want to read it enough to pick it up. We are all accountable for our actions. It is not our schedules fault, our Sunday School teachers'/preachers' fault, the Bible's fault. We just don't want to read it enough to make it a priority.

We will do what we want, when we want, no matter what we have to give up to do it. That is how we are wired. So we have to discover the "want to" to find the time and place to read.

For me, it is best to read in the morning. It clears my head before the day begins. When I make myself read (and that is what it takes at first - making yourself), I like it quiet and in a private place. Making that time and place happen is my responsibility. So I have to look for those times and use them in the best way.

"Only 34 percent of American Christians read God's Word on their own during the week, and of that group, only 13 percent claim to read it daily." Ouch.
Post a Comment