Monday, July 10, 2006

Dreams revisited

This is a rare week for Lisa and I. Both of our boys are gone for a week. So it is just us adults in the house. Alone. And last night Lisa said something that just tickled my fancy. In a soft, sweet voice she says,"If you'll hurry and take out the trash, then we can (pause for dramatic effect) watch an episode of Emergency." Now that is exciting folks.

What, you don't think that is exciting? Come on, it's Emergency. The greatest television show in the history of t.v. drama. Okay, some of you don't know about Emergency. That is forgiveable. But you should take some time to see it. Emergency was a show that started in the early '70's. It follows two firemen paramedics through all type of adventures and misadventures. It was that show that really gave me my first dream of what I wanted to become. I wanted to be a paramedic. I remember thinking about it all of my life. Oh there were other jobs I really would have liked to do. But always and for as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a paramedic.

Just for clarification - no I didn't want to be a preacher. That was never a dream of mine. It is a calling, though. A calling is completely different from a dream. A calling comes from outside of your thoughts and imaginations. A dream begins within and lives within you always. Unless you act on it. And I got to live my dream.

I was an E.M.T. (the scaled down version of a paramedic). I got to drive the ambulance. I was trained in life saving procedures. I treated patients on the scene and in the back of the ambulance. I even had a radio that sent out the cool paging tones. I was living my dream. It was a blast.

Dreams are powerful. They can lift our spirits to the level of walking above the face of the earth. And a dream unfulfilled can cause bitterness and disillusionment. I have been fortunate enough to live out one of my dreams. I really hope that you can find the boldness to step out and live out your dreams, even in some small way.

And Lisa, when we get home tonight, put on something comfortable, turn the lights down low, and let's watch Emergency!
Post a Comment