Wednesday, January 24, 2007

May the Force be with you...and your kids

I was listening to talk radio while on one of my many trips this weeks to Oklahoma City. And, since this is Oscar nomination week, the subject of movies was on the mind of the commentator. Glenn Beck if you just need to know. I love Glenn Beck. But that is another blog.

The subject of Star Wars was brought up. I saw Star Wars when it came out in 1977. I saw it at least 6 or 7 times in the theater. I remember how that movie became a part of many hours of play in my youth. I remember going to my best friends house. We would go into the basement (which was cooler than cool) and playing like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. We would relive the scenes from the movie. I remember the figures that were at the top of my Christmas list that year and the special toys of that time. The only time I really ever messed up a Christmas surprise was because of Star Wars toys.

30 years later (May will be the 30th anniversary of the initial release of Star Wars), I revisit those times and memories a lot more frequently. I revisit them because my boys are in love with the movies that have become a significant feature in my life. It is not uncommon for Andrew to walk around the house all day long in a thread bare Halloween costume of his favorite characters from the movie. We own all 6 movies on DVD and they are watched regularly. We own video games that are played often. By all 3 boys.

Star Wars has been called by many a cultural phenomenon. It is a timeless story that will remain a popular favorite for decades to come. It has impacted our world and brought the world a little closer together in a small way. But it has also been a powerful force in connecting our family. It has been become a shared experience by me and my boys.

So may the Force be with you. Or something else that will draw you and your family closer together.
Post a Comment