Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cast into eternal piles and pilenation

One of the downsides of moving is, well, moving. Lisa and I have spent some wonderful quality time packing boxes of, ahem, "treasured mementos". As I sit in my office, I am faced with the overwhelming task of packing books. Lots of books. Multiple bookcases of books.

And the only comfort I have is in knowing that other ministers are faced with the same task.

As I was hitting my morning blog rounds, I stumbled across this blog post via lifehacker.com.

Bringing Your Bookshelves Back to Order

There are some great tips about going through your bookcase and determining what to keep and what to discard. I just had a conversation with Lisa about gleaning the bookcases. I have already made one pass on books I know that I don't want or need anymore. But I knew that there is a second pass that needs to happen.

And this one will be a little more painful. It's funny what we get attached to over time. I have books that I really don't have any need for (old college textbooks that don't relate to my current vocation) that I really can't bear the thought of parting with. I also have books that I justify, "Yeah, I may run into a situation where that information may come in handy." But I know that that really isn't the case.

So I am going to be giving my book collection a second pass through. By applying what the writer to the blog mentioned and by asking myself the hard question of "need", I will be whittling down the number of boxes I will need for my library.

If you want to come by and take a look at what is available, feel free. They need a good home.
Post a Comment