Thursday, August 25, 2011

Radical Together

I'm back from a long summer non-break. I started reading Radical Together by David Platt before the break started and it got lost in the summer activity. I was able to finish it this week and am fulfilling an obligation since I was given a copy of this book free of charge by the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review.

It really isn't a difficult book to read. It was my misfortune to read it when the summer got busy. This is a companion to Radical by the same author. I have not read that book, yet.

The sentence that really stuck out to me in the entire book was, "individually and together, we are to selflessly serve a self-centered God." It was a powerful reminder to me to that God does expect us to put God's interests before our own as individuals and as churches. Platt focuses on the corporate in this book more than the individual (thus Radical Together). And I felt he was challenging contemporary churches to pause and reflect on their current focus. Program and building, spending/stewardship and mission really do get called into question in this book.

I did feel that throughout the book I was required to have read the first work. There were many comments referring back to it. In some cases the connection was required to understand the comment. Context was enough to carry the conversation forward but something was lost.

I would use this as a great conversation starter in my churches. It reads easy enough for the average reader but offers challenges for conversation.
Post a Comment